28 Jan Why wait until disaster strikes, be proactive and protect your cyber today
Within this guide, we will help you to understand the key features of IT protection and how you can protect your business IT.
Cybercrime is the greatest threat to every business across the world and ensuring your systems are protected is essential to continuity and security.
Knowledge is power
Firstly, being aware of your IT vulnerabilities is key. You may think you have all eventualities covered and that your systems are comprehensively protected, but you could be wrong.
Did you know?
- 42% of Micro/small businesses identified at least one breach or attack in the last 12 months.
- Cybersecurity awareness is critical. Only 20% of businesses and 15% of charities have had staff take part in any form of cybersecurity training during the past year.
- £600K-£1.15m is the average cost of a security breach.
- 390,000 new malware strains created every day.
It’s important that you are aware of what data is at risk, who has access to that data and how much a data breach would cost your business. National Cyber Security Centre recommends that “organisations perform a vulnerability assessment of their entire estate on a monthly basis” and we would recommend that these are completed by an IT expert.
Once you’re aware of your vulnerabilities, the next step is to ensure you have the correct solution in place to mitigate these.
These solutions may include:
- Mail Filtering
- Web Protection
- End Point Detection and Response
- Patch Management
- Layered Security
With so many cyber attacks taking place, anti-virus is an absolute must for any IT user.
Anti-virus provides an essential line of defence against malicious software that can be used by attackers to gain a foothold in a company’s IT systems. All the best practice guidance and compliance requirements demand malware defences. Cybercriminals frequently use “known” Trojans and malware against targets. So, up-to-date antivirus can consistently detect and remove Trojans and malware providing it has the most recent definitions.
Uplands affordable Anti-Virus solution provides a layer of defence that combat malware attacks and helps to protect your employees/company files from malicious outsiders.
Uplands Anti-Virus features:
- Heuristic checks – Protect against previously unknown threats using heuristic checks, which detect unrecognised viruses in a sandbox environment away from a business’s core systems.
- Lightweight scans – By reducing the size of scans, system resources can maintain high-performance levels.
- Continuous, real-time monitoring – Ongoing scans of your system help detect programs that perform behaviours and actions commonly associated with malware exploits.
It is recommended that Anti-Virus solutions are used alongside Web Protection and patch management to enhance and increase layers of security, ensuring complete business protection.
Email is the most common attack vector used for cyber attacks, with 77% of malware infections being caused by users receiving a malicious email with an attachment or web link. It is essential that your mail services are filtered correctly to stop your business from being at risk.
Uplands Mail Filtering features:
- Protects inbound and outbound email using collective threat intelligence, 24/7 email continuity, and long-term email archiving
- Abuse management reveals users and accounts sending out spam to help prevent IP blacklisting and damage to company reputation
- Quarantine management gives users the power to view, release, blacklist, or whitelist messages.
- Attachment and macro blocking help protect against zero-day malware
It is recommended that Mail Filtering solutions are used alongside Anti-Virus, Web Protection and patch management to enhance and increase layers of security, ensuring complete business protection.
Web threats have increased dramatically in recent years, from phishing sites to drive-by malware downloads, the risk of a security breach has never been greater
Given that many malware strains are delivered via a browser, web protection is another important part of a layered defence strategy.
Web Protection can be used as a detection mechanism to spot suspicious surfing activity that could indicate an attack. And it can also be used to block employees from visiting legitimate but undesirable sites, such as sports and entertainment destinations online. This enables companies to sustain employee productivity.
Uplands Web Protection features:
- Threat Protection – Protect against malware, phishing, adware, botnets and spam.
- Access Controls – Keep users away from sites that could cause a data breach.
- Productivity – Increase user productivity by restricting non-work sites in work hours.
It is recommended to use our Web Protection solution alongside our Anti Virus and patch management solutions to enhance and increase layers of security.
Backup & Recovery
Backup is a lot like insurance: it’s not always needed, but when it is, it’s a lifesaver.
A cloud-based backup and disaster recovery solution is the best defence against most ransomware attacks, making it possible for businesses to get back to work by quickly and easily restoring corrupt or encrypted files.
At a minimum, clients need to have documents back up. If they have servers, they should also think about backing up those systems, too.
When you consider that 70% of companies (>100 staff) that experience a major data loss go out of business within a year. is it worth taking the chance of not backing up?
Our affordable encrypted cloud backup solutions are built on years of experience in a variety of industries.
Uplands Back-Up Solutions:
- Standard Back-Up – Ideal for users who work on and save electronic documents on their Laptop, PC, or Mac computers.
- Ultra Workstation Back-Up – Ideal for staff/management who are responsible/work on a high volume of electronic documents.
- Ultra Server Back-Up – Ideal for companies that have mission critical servers running locally hosted systems such as file shares and databases.
Targeting software that has not yet been updated to protect from known vulnerabilities is a popular technique used by cyber attackers. Unless you want to run the risk of being breached then Patching your systems should be a priority.
The Government’s Cyber Essentials security standard recommends patching as “one of the most important things you can do to improve security.”.
If you manage many workstations and servers, patch management can quickly become very complex – Uplands can reduce effort, risk and simplify this process with complete patch management in one user-friendly interface.
Uplands Patch Management features:
- Patches most business software – Over 80 application families, including Apple, Google, Java, Adobe, zip tools, Skype and Yahoo Messenger.
- Scheduling – Set patching windows to update software without disrupting employees during times of high productivity.
- Automation – Auto-approve patches for specific programs based on severity levels.
It is recommended to use Patch Management alongside our Anti Virus and Web Protection solutions to enhance and increase layers of security.
Due to the vast increase in cyber-attacks, companies must take measures to protect computers, networks and information from unauthorised access or attack. By implementing layered security you are greatly reducing your chances of being breached.
A layered security approach is a process of implementing a number of safety measures to reduce the chance of your company data/systems being breached. Much like installing locks, alarms and CCTV on your home or Airbags, ABS, crumple zones on a car to reduce the risks of injury in an accident. Your network should be treated no different and by deploying these measures simultaneously you are greatly reducing the chance of a cyber incident.
Check out our Cyber Protect packages here for solutions that will secure your business IT wherever you are working form, whilst reducing downtime and increasing productivity.
Is it easy to secure my cyber?
With the right provider, yes.
With a proven track record of reducing costs while providing first-class IT support services. Our solutions are tailored to suit each organisation, which are delivered by industry experts with a personalised level of customer service. You can rely on Uplands to keep your data secure, available and provide you with the tools to grow your business.
We are here to help as much or as little as you require. We offer a bespoke range of IT solutions that can complement and make your IT team more efficient. Our Team takes the time to understand the needs of your business and will tailor a solution that meets those needs.
What do you need to do?
Call us today on 0800 24 00 00 to arrange a free, no-obligation call back from an expert advisor, helping to give you peace of mind. In the meantime, you can check out our Cyber Protect packages here.
To speak to an expert call us on 0800 24 00 00
Everything we deliver is underpinned by our multi-award-winning level of Customer Care, most recently recognised at the Comms National Awards 2020 as Best SME Reseller and Best Mobile / IOT Solution and at the Mobile News Awards 2020 as Best B2B Dealer, and by our valued customers through our 5* Trust Pilot Rating.
During these uncertain times, we are prioritizing the flexibility and adaptability of our services. Which means we are able to facilitate businesses continually changing requirements, so you benefit from flexible contract terms, great value and dedicated customer service.
Share this post:
* Content within this blog post is subject to change, terms and conditions. Uplands Mobiles Ltd accepts no responsibility for the results generated by this blog post.